Hi Hackers -
For those of you interested in the Demand Media Health and Fitness App Challenge, here's an introduction to the Livestrong API from Jim Grady, Director, Software Engineering, LIVESTRONG.COM:
LIVESTRONG is providing access to its calorie tracking app that allows user to monitor their calorie intake and burn through an extensive library of foods and exercises. Developers will have access to the full library.
The LIVESTRONG.COM Calorie Tracker offers:
• Easy to use interface for tracking
• The largest database of food and restaurant items (more than 1.3M)
• Personalized daily calorie intake based on your goals
• Weight tracking with easy to read progress chart
• Motivational community that will inspire you to stick with your goals
• Water tracking to help you ensure you are staying hydrated
• Daily reminders to keep you on track to hitting your weight goal
• Full support for use on iPhone and iPad
The LIVESTRONG.COM Calorie Tracker is a diet coach, nutritionist, calorie counter and food planner at your fingertips.
Here are a few basic API calls to get everybody started. To keep it simple for everybody during the hackathon, we’ll open the api on the urls below and won’t require authentication for them over the weekend.
Activity feed (selection of recent conversation comments plus food, fitness, and water tracking, along with related livestrong.com content if available).
(The node feed is fast enough to be polled frequently for realtime apps – pass the most recent guid you’ve received as “after guid” so that you only get new data, not what you already have. The feed is also available over plain http while the food/fitness search require https)
Please attend the Livestrong API workshop on Saturday morning to get more info!