Hack for LA is leading the civic hacking and technology movement in LA. It’s a great example of how we can harness technology and our city's creativity to solve everyday problems. We started as part of the National Day of Civic Hacking, an event that launched on June 1-2, 2013. LA residents, students, city departments, software developers, sponsors and entrepreneurs came together to build, create and solve challenges that drive meaningful technology-based solutions for LA.
At the Boyle Heights Technology Center in Los Angeles, we had 450 people; created 40 apps; and gave away $25,000 in prizes. We're looking forward to our December 7-8 2013 event being even better!
We are looking for a social media intern to work with the Director of New Media to assist in developing the social media campaign for the overall project and the event. Work will begin immediately and continue for up to six months and possibly longer. Most of the work will be done remotely with a one hour in person meeting every week. Weekly hours will vary depending on upcoming events in the community but generally 5 hours a week will be required.
The intern will:
- Help build our Twitter and Facebook profiles – add targeted followers/likes
- Post on Twitter and Facebook
- Research target audiences
- Research media outlets for press coverage
- Research prospective sponsors
- Assist in writing press releases and media alerts
- Maintain and update our email list
- Create Google doc spreadsheets to share information
- Gather contact info and images of participants at our events for social media sharing
- Create media lists for events
- Assist with preparing analytics spreadsheets for social media and website
- Create sign in sheets for events
- Sign people into event
Our interns are creative, problem-solvers with a DIY ethic and dynamic spirit. Knowledge of current and upcoming tech and civic engagement events throughout Los Angeles and nationally is a definite plus. Strong interest in developing apps to increase civic engagement is required. Knowledge of Macs, IOS7, iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, iPads, digital and manual cameras, Photoshop, Adobe Creative Cloud, Google docs and spreadsheets, Excel, PowerPoint, Hootesuite, and multiple apps will be useful.
Please contact: Hilary White, Director of New Media, email@example.com